Celebrate Life, It's Worth Living

Celebrate Life, It's Worth Living

Monday, April 14, 2014

Whole Heart 30 Challenge

Hey folks, I'm sure you've all been seeing "Whole 30" posts, pins and recipes galore lately because I've been bombarded! I've been so bombarded that I finally caved. I'm giving the latest & greatest fitness challenge "Whole 30" a try, but with my own twist. 

My reason for wanting to do this may not be for the same reason as others, but rather with more of a spiritual purpose at the core. Since I started this Lent, I've been realizing more and more how I focus so much on self. What is comfortable? What do I want? What do I need? Me, me, me. I've realized this Lent that I need to deny myself of little pleasures on a regular basis, not just during liturgical periods that encourage self denial, sacrifice, etc. Every single day I want to be reminded of the ultimate sacrifice in order to more fully appreciate the gifts in this world. 

I personally am going to deny myself of dairy, grains, sugar, alcohol, and soy these next 30 days. Along with each day of focusing on improving my bodily health, I plan on focusing on improving my spiritual health by reflecting on a scripture passage. I will be calling this challenge "Whole Heart 30." The passage above is what really helped inspire me in beginning this challenge. Psalm 119 "Blessed are those who seek Him with the whole heart." Crazy thing is that this passage was on my heart all week when thinking about beginning this challenge. And tonight I opened up Jake's Bible that was gifted to him years back, and look what passage is quoted in his parents' inscription to him!!! Looks like there was some serious intervention in the formation of this challenge!

So here's to the next 30 days of denying myself of some of my absolute favorite things: cheese, wine, fresh bread, and dark chocolate. This is not going to be an easy one for me, but with the support of my husband and those around me who have linked in, it's going to be a fruitful one! Contact me if you care to join us and we'll begin improving our whole self one day at a time. Whole heart 30 here we come! 

3 comments:

  1. Love! I feel like I probably could've gotten more out of this Lent, so this would be a great way to extend the sacrificial season! I maaaaaay be joining you in this…to an extent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this a short while ago but I had to stop because my milk supply almost completely vanished (not good!). It's hard to keep up a supply while nursing an almost one year old so when I cut out the dairy and grains it became almost impossible. Once I'm finished though I'll be back on the bandwagon. Furthermore I love you spiritual addition to the challenge. What's the point of nourishing our bodies if our souls aren't nourished as well? Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! I did the whole 30 at the first of the year and loved it. It's rough but it's great. I've been trying to keep following the principles as much as I can. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete